Reflection: The Life Worth Fighting For

I had to make a reflection paper as part of our Religious Education 115 requirement with a theme :
The Life the Holy Spirit Reveals Gives us Life. (relate to personal experience)

I honestly envy those people who have great stories behind them, they have cooler reflections in my eyes since they have a lot to write. Some got broken families, some were adopted, some had cancers, some had their second lives thanks to rehabilitation, some were seeking so much attention, some were so rich but hungry of love and true friends.

What about me? I don't have such kind of stories. I lived a life full of wonders. We are not wealthy but rich in love and friends. I'm contented of my family, friends, studies, hobbies, material possessions (but normally everyone dreams for more), physical appearance, freedom, social status and most importantly I feel so grateful of all the blessings my God has been showering to me, they were more than enough.

But then I realized, instead of envying those people, I should just remain thankful for what I have - a wonderful life.

But still I was able to relate my life with the topic. So here's my reflection paper. Enjoy!



The Life Worth Fighting For
                       
The truth the Holy Spirit reveals gives us life.

It’s amazing to think that human persons experience God’s love and protection in their everyday lives through Holy Spirit. But, it’s more amazing to imagine that I experienced God’s love and protection even before I was completely blessed with this so called Life.

When I was young, I used to feel bad thinking I was not part of the family plan. My elder sister and my elder brother had a gap of one year while I happened to be eight years away from my brother’s year of existence. Little did I know, I was the child they fought hard to have.



I always knew my mom’s heart condition, it’s not that strong. But it was only when I was on my last year in high school that she divulged a poignant experience she had before me.

My Tita who took care of my mom was in full disapproval of having me inside my mom’s tummy. My Tita loves my mom so much that she never wanted to put her health in danger. She never forgot what the doctor said, that my Mom can’t conceive another child anymore for there’s a huge possibility that she couldn’t bear the pain which could put her in a very risky condition, worse, death.

The knowledge of my existence brought her (my Tita) to a debauched option…abortion. Mom and Pa of course opposed to that absurd idea. How could they end such an innocent heart beat? How could they take away the chance of letting an angel live?

But my Tita really has a lot to say when it comes to the decisions that my Mom had to make. My Mom has to live, that’s all her concern. I understand that. She loves her so much compared to an unknown and unborn little sweetie. My TIta was very firm in her decision. She did her best to convince my Mom to abort the baby. She brought her to the chamber of the abortionist, ready to start the process.

My mom described to me how each tear escaped from her eyes as she faced a very tough decision which could affect her life forever or even cause her end. A part of her was concerned of her own health while another part was so selfless to risk her own life just for the sake of letting the baby have a chance to enjoy the gift of life.

She said it was indeed the Holy Spirit who reveals her the Truth. There’s nothing to worry in the future for God is always there. There’s nothing to fear and feel weak upon for God provides us strength. There’s nothing to be confused about since we are given the conscience and free-will to decide what’s best for us. The Holy Spirit guided her to follow what her heart beats, to stay on the good side and take the best care of what’s inside her tummy. She was enlightened by the Holy Spirit and was transformed into a stronger person to go on no matter what challenges may arise.

Like a miracle, my Mom successfully delivered me to the beautiful Earth provided that extra care was showered into both us during those months. Despite of the fact that she almost lost me during the delivery when she stopped pushing me because of too much pain, choking me, to death, in the neck which made me turned violet according to the midwife. But she passed that phase. All in all it was indeed successful.

My Mom and Pa fought for my life. I learned to value my life more after hearing that history. I should erase “giving-up” in my vocabulary and I did, like what my parents had done for me, I should never give up, I should keep fighting into what I believe in.

I should take care of the life they spared for me. Live each second as happy and grateful to the Lord as I could. I should never be afraid when faced into a challenging problem for I’ll always be guided by the Holy Spirit reminding me how God loves me so much. 

The Holy Spirit not only guides my life now but gave me life as well. The truth the Holy Spirit reveals gives us life and I’ll live my years proving that this Life is worth fighting for.

Comments