Love and Marriage

Civil Wedding | November 19, 2015

(Stories for my children and grandchildren when love comes into their life)


“Love is meant to be an adventure.” – Gordon B. Hinckley


What’s that supposed to mean, Mr. Hinckley?

After asking Google for a technical definition of the term “adventure”, I learned that:

ad·ven·ture (adˈven(t)SHər,ədˈven(t)SHər/)

noun. an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity.
synonyms:





verb.
engage in hazardous and exciting activity, especially the exploration of unknown territory.

I always believe true love to be the reason for marriage. And I find this quote a very good one although I can’t deny the fact that I’m quite disturbed yet amazed of the sincerity of the quote upon learning that the term “adventure” contains the word “hazardous” in its basic definition.

Unusual and exciting, if you’ve never been excited about it, I don’t know if that’s love at all. You’ll always get excited with the thought of being with your loved one…well, unless you just got into a fight or something. I remember those times when I literally couldn’t concentrate during my seminars and trainings because all I could ever think of is him. Shit. I felt like I was doomed. I was so excited for our upcoming dates. Haha.

Unusual in the sense that—seriously, if you find someone so typical like you can meet someone like him in every day of your life, would you still be interested? Would you still find it special? Extraordinary? I dunno if it is just me but I guess we people really look for something different…someone different than the ones we used to be with. We look for that something in that person which make him stand out from everyone else.

Well, I used to be questioned with my taste in men for the past two relationships I was with. And I couldn’t blame my friends or the people around me. I just don’t feel like dating the typical guy.

Typically hazardous, experience or activity. There will always be danger in loving. There will always be a risk that your heart might get broken along the process. There is no assurance in love. Even the couple who tells each other I love you fifty times a day can still split up the following week. 

Getting broken hearted is one of the worst emotional situations one can be in. You would eventually wonder why this has to happen to you. You would look back to everything you’ve done and reflect, reflect, reflect what you’ve missed.

But guess what? Heart breaks never end. You just have to learn from them and deal with them. Well, according to my experience.

Even the happiest couples you know experience heart breaks from time to time. Fight over something from time to time. Hurt each other from time to time, unintentionally and intentionally. But it’s just part of the journey, my dear.

Just like life is never without problems, marriage is never without fights. It’s just the way it is.
I know it’s cliché but I always hold on to Bob Marley’s, “Everybody is going to hurt you. You just have to find someone who is worth the pain.”



The first night.

We didn’t do it.

I was exhausted.

I didn’t feel I was married. It still wasn’t sinking in.



Marriage.


There will always be a better man and a better woman than our partner will ever be but marriage means choosing your partner over and over again. You chose to spend your journey together, for better or for worse.

To my kids and grandkids, enjoy finding the happiness in your lives.

Comments